Tonight, Kobe Bryant will add another distinction to his illustrious 20-year career: number retirement. And, in typical Bryant fashion, it’s done with an inimitable flare. Rather than retiring a single number, the Black Mamba will have both his 8 and 24 jerseys enshrined — making him one of a select group of athletes who have two jerseys retired, and the only player with two numbers retired with a single team.
There’s good reason for the accolade: He won five titles with the franchise and an MVP award; twice he led the league in scoring and nine times he was named a member of the All-NBA defensive first team. He’s also the Lakers all-time leader in regular season games played (1,346), points scored (33,643) and three-pointers made.
In celebration of Bryant’s two jerseys being raised to the Staples Center rafters, Nike offers a special edition Air Force 1 iD.
1. IT FEATURES A SPECIAL SNAKE SKIN-LIKE BLACK MAMBA UPPER
2. A DROP SHADOW SWOOSH ADDS DIMENSION
3. BRYANT’S NUMBERS, 8 AND 24, ARE ON THE HEEL TABS
4. EIGHT STARS APPEAR ON EACH TONGUE, WHICH, WHEN ADDED, HONORS THE LAKERS TOTAL TITLE TALLY
5. THE SHOE IS PART OF A NUMBER RETIREMENT CELEBRATION PACK THAT INCLUDES LIMITED EDITION JERSEYS AND PERHAPS THE BEST BRYANT GRAPHIC T-SHIRT EVER PRODUCED
The Nike Air Force 1 Low Premium iD (Los Angeles Lakers) will be available from Nike.com at tipoff of tonight’s Lakers vs. Warriors game, approximately 7:30 pm PT.
The T-Shirts release 8:24 pm PT on Nike.com and are available at select retailers in the Los Angeles area.