Last week in Switzerland, a team of physicists activated the CERN Large Hadron Collider and identified evidence of the Higgs Boson particle, a formerly theoretical component of the “Standard Model” of the universe, which purports to explain why matter possesses mass. They celebrated their discovery the way people the world over celebrate anything: they downed a bunch of shots of tequila.
We at Sneakhype salute these scientists who have dedicated their lives to uncovering the mysteries of the cosmos and we approve of their drink of choice. As you’ll see in future entries in this column, tequila is a favorite of ours as well and we don’t require anything as momentous as a Nobel to throw some down. In fact, give us a bottle of Avión Reposado tequila and that’s cause for celebration enough (we’ll take a shot glass and some tabasco sauce too, thanks). But say you’re trying to up the ante a bit and want to demonstrate your mixological prowess? In that case, shots won’t work and simply tossing tequila and orange juice together and calling it a day won’t do, either. Really, this is stuff to be savored, combined with muddled ingredients, topped with a garnish, and prepared with a little bit of care, and with that in mind we suggest,
This Week’s Drink of the Week: The Rita Rioja (brought to you by the fine folks at Avión Tequila, who remind you to enjoy their liquid gold responsibly).
- Lime Juice
- Simple Syrup (To make a simple syrup, just add one part sugar to one part boiling water, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved. Then, allow the mixture to cool.)
- Fresh Red Pepper
- Avión Reposado Tequila
Check out the photos below for some step-by-step instruction on preparing this devastatingly good cocktail.
1. Rub some lime juice on the rim of your glass and add salt.
2. Add fresh red pepper and cilantro to your mixing glass.
3. Muddle your red pepper and cilantro.
4. Add ¾ oz each of lime juice and simple syrup.
5. Add 1 ½ oz of the only indispensable ingredient in this cocktail: Avión Reposado tequila.
6. Take a break for a shot, you deserve it. We added Sriracha to ours because of the rule (i.e. Sriracha must be added to everything).
7. Fill your mixing glass with ice, shake it up and strain it into your salted glass. Add a garnish of red pepper and cilantro and boom:
And if you’d like to watch an attractive expert make the same drink, check out the video from Avión here